Sunday, November 18, 2012

Rich (Talking Point 5)

So I know this is late but at the time I read this I really wasn't too sure of myself.  So I waited and now I've gone back and reread it and I'm taking another shot at it.

The phrases "compulsory heterosexuality" and "lesbian existence" were foreign to me before reading this piece by Adrienne Rich, and like I said I really wasn't sure what to make of it at first.  So I looked up the definitions of the words in the titles:

Compulsory: Required by law or a rule; obligatory.

Heterosexuality: A sexual attraction to (or sexual relations with) persons of the opposite sex.

Lesbian: A homosexual woman.

Existence: The fact or state of living or having objective reality.

It is obvious that society is pressuring us to be heterosexual, whether we believe it or not, through media, news, "straightness" is everywhere.


I now this is a kind of goofy video but I though it was funny.

Personally I was raised with an open mind.  And I have always fought for gay rights.  Ronie said it best when she said in her blog, "The fact of the matter is that lesbianism does exist. Women who are lesbian are no less than women who are straight. When people say that they want to be a feminist and fight social injustice and issues, they have to face the fact that inequality to lesbians, AND GAYS, is a feminist issue. They are people, with emotions, feelings, rights, opinions, and thought. We should treat them like we treat every other human being."  

No comments:

Post a Comment