Monday, November 12, 2012

Media

I found these videos on Croteau's Media and Ideology:


In the second video they begin to talk about media representations and Kayli related it to Cinderella Ate My Daughter in her blog.  Television and media directly advertises to the different sexes.  For females especially, society has unwritten rules for what is deemed beautiful, classy, sophisticated, acceptable, etc.  From young ages girls are bombarded with pictures in the media that tell them, "in order to fit in, you need to look like this".

I completely agree with Kayli that women and girls need to learn to be comfortable in their own skin because we are all beautiful.  Media and advertising can be used as both a weapon and a source of knowledge.  It really depends on how we use it.  When we create media that is violent and destructive like Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP, we create violence, see Mike's blog.  However, I believe we can also create advertisement that is good for society.  Like Dove's Real Beauty Campaign.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad my blog could help! Everyone needs to be comfortable in their own skin! Sometimes the readings can feel repetitive, but that's okay just helps me to remember, sets into my brain and creates a main focus!

    ReplyDelete